Monday, January 21, 2008

A look at school life

I thought some of you might like to see some pictures of what I'm doing here. These first pictures are of my room, study table, and view out the window. Kunming is a really nice city. It actually has blue sky! I didn't think it was possible for a big Chinese city to have blue sky, but Kunming definitely has one of the bluest skies I've ever seen. It's also relatively warm (60s and 70s) since it's down next to Vietnam and Myanmar. It started snowing the day we left Shiyan so this is a nice change. Enough talking, here are some pictures!









We don't go very far from the building much since we're always studying. That pedestrian crossover in the above picture is the farthest we go most days. It's sad, I know. Blame it on homework. Speaking of homework, here are a few pictures of my homework for all you curious cats.


This is one of my journal entries. I messed up the sentence in the middle, hence the red ink. But overall it was good, so she drew one of her weird smileys at the end. Mv.


Here's a page from the text book. It's not all like this. This page is just packed with phrases to practice.


I get to trace a character and then practice writing it on my own. And then write it in a dictation quiz the next day. Today my quiz consisted of about 80 characters that I learned last week. It took a long time.

Spring Festival is around February 6th and 7th. Our teachers want to go home at that time, but our classes run through the 8th. Their solution is that we'll have class 6 days a week instead of 5 so we can finish three days early. It kind of stinks because now we only have one day off to rest our brains, but I can't really complain because I wouldn't want them to miss going home. It's their equivalent of Christmas, in terms of how important it is to go home and see family. Today, however, my brain is fairly relaxed. It's the first school day of the week and I didn't receive much homework at all. I've already finished it, in fact. So I have the next 6 or 7 hours to review, read, wander, or whatever else I can find to do. It should be interesting.

4 comments:

Vail said...

Looks like a nice cozy setup -- is there room for your feet on the bed? The views are cool too, but the books ---- I'm just glad its you and not me :))

hugs

jennifer said...

did you master all of those phrases on that page? do you feel like you are learning lots? lubs

jen

TexasNeals said...

ok, you are brilliant! just looking at your journal makes my brain hurt!!!!! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Dude, chinesepod.com rocks.

I dabbled in Mandarin a bit my first two years in China but when I go back in March I wanna start learning the characters like you are.

Very inspirational!

Oh and www.askbenny.cn is a pretty good site too for learning mandarin.