Sunday, April 22, 2007

The sword in the stone

I'm getting a sword! This story doesn't really involve a stone that I can think of at the moment, but I'll try to work one in. So all semester I've been trying to find out if we're going to continue the taiji class from last semester. Angelyn heard rumors of it a week or two ago, but when I asked around no one knew anything about it. Finally, Angelyn ran into one of the taiji teachers last weekend and was told that the class would begin this past week. Finally! I went on Monday at 5, and was pleased to see that the same teacher from last semester is teaching. She's kind of cute, so there's extra incentive to go to class. Anyhoo, we spent the first class reviewing a bit since everyone had forgotten most of what we learned before. They hadn't decided if the class would meet on Wednesday or not, so the teacher took my phone number so she could text me on Tuesday. I got a text late Tuesday night saying that we would be having class, so on Wednesday I show up at the designated time and place. I waited, and waited, then I waited some more. I was the only one who showed up. Apparently the text that I had received at 11:30 the night before was canceled at some point. I just wasn't informed. But, on Friday we actually did have class. At the end of class we were talking about what we'll start learning after May holiday (which is next week, but I'll talk about that later). This week we'll continue reviewing, but after May holiday we get to learn new stuff. Apparently we'll all be measured for our traditional taiji outfit. Sweet! Then we'll receive our traditional taiji sword. Sweeter! So after this semester I should be able to best just about anyone in a sword duel, except that American brother/sister fencing duo from the Olympics. I'm sure they could still take me. After I was told about this, the teacher also tried to tell me that there's something happening in June, but I'm really not sure what she was trying to tell me. My Chinese wasn't working too well that day and I was having trouble translating. I'm hoping she wasn't telling me that we'd be performing in front of the entire school, but I really wouldn't be too surprised if that came up at some point. China has a way of making all my worst fears become a reality. Like corn flavored ice cream. Ugh! So that's why I'm getting a sword.

After this week's classes, we will begin our May holiday here. The actual holiday is May 1. It's China's Labor Day. But due to working ahead in our classes, overabundance of people in China, and lack of beds on trains, we're leaving a little earlier than that. Derek, Angelyn, and I are heading out this Thursday morning and going to Hong Kong. I've been there twice before, but it should still be an awesome experience. We get the entire week off after that, so we'll have plenty of time to chill in my cousin's awesome luxury pad, see the sights, and maybe even catch a ferry over to Macau one day. We'll see what happens. Maybe Jackie Chan will be in town and we'll see him around. I doubt it, but there's always a chance. By the way, Hong Kong Island has a big mountain peak in the middle of it. As we all know, mountains are made of... STONE. So now we've had a sword and some stone. My job here is finished. I think I'll go to bed now. Maybe more tomorrow! If you're lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know someone who will be very jealous that you have a sword and he doesn't... :) And good job on working in that "stone" part. Very smooth.